Unless you're traveling for life, chances are, you get some level of post vacation blues. Luckily I'm in Tokyo enjoying my time with family right now but when I got back from Maui, I had some serious struggles. Especially since I was coming back from a tropical, relaxing place, it was extra difficult to face reality.
I know some people with serious issues with post vacation blues that nears a state of depression. If that's the case, please don't ignore it and consult with a professional. If it's not as severe, from my own experience, I've gathered some tips and tricks on how to ease the post vacation blues.
1. Take Care Of Everything Prior To Leaving - You don't want to go on vacation to relax, just to come back to a disaster that increases your stress levels. You want to plan for a smooth return. Make sure your e-mails are taken care of, your bills caught up and home clean before leaving.
2. Exercise While On Vacation - We all know exercise does wonders for your body physically and mentally. But in the case of vacation, it's important to exercise so that when you get back home, you have some sort of physical stability as well as reduced stress.
3. Stay On A Regular Sleeping Schedule - Whether you're out partying or too excited to sleep, I know it's tempting to stay up late during vacation. At least try to stay on a regular sleeping schedule so it doesn't disrupt your sleep when you get back to your regularly scheduled life.
4. Enjoy The Memories - This may sound like a self-help quote but bear with me. It's important to have the bottle-half-full attitude for this tip. Try to think of your favorite moments from your trip and feel grateful that you were able to go on vacation. Living with a full, grateful heart will help ease being back to reality.
5. Bring A Vacation Souvenir - Bringing a souvenir home or to your workplace can help with the transition of getting back to reality. Souvenirs will bring back memories every time it's in your peripheral. Taking your mind to a happy place can reduce anxiety and stress.
6. Begin Planning Your Next Trip - Having a new vacation on the horizon can help alleviate the stress of returning. Planning your next trip almost immediately even if it may not be concrete, will allow you to have something to look forward to.
7. Share Memories - Thanks to social media, this will come easy for most of us. Go back through your camera roll and share your memories. Facebook, Instagram, create a photo book, show your colleagues - whatever method it may be! Reminiscing on your trip will bring back wonderful memories, increasing your happiness.
How do you cope with post vacation blues? Any tips you can add to the list?
Pin for later!