I don't know about you but when I vacation, I go hard. I eat as much as I can, drink more than I would normally and sleep as little as possible. It's all great and dandy until I get home feeling sad and disgusting. While I've already shared tips on How to Survive the Post-Vacation Blues, I thought I would share how I physically detox and get back on track.
1. Water - Drink a lot, a lot, a lot of water. This way, you'll stay hydrated while also cleansing and flushing out your system. While it differs depending on your size, ideally you want to be consuming eight, 8 ounce glasses of water. If you're not a water-drinker, that may sound like a lot but you can always jazz it up by adding sliced fruit!
2. Exercise - Coming back from vacation can be tough on your body and mind. For the mind, click here for a past post I wrote on How To Deal With Post Vacation Blues. But for the body, exercise is the answer. You don't need me to tell you the benefits of exercise but getting some cardio or weights in 3-4 times a week will most definitely have you back in control of your body and lifestyle.
3. Juicing - Cleansing your body while still taking in nutrients? Yes, please! For about a year now, after a wonderfully indulgent vacation, I've been doing the Suja Juice Original Fresh Start cleanse. They have a 1, 3 or 5 day cleanse so if you're a juice cleanse newbie, no need to worry! The juices are organic, non-GMO, packed with nutrients and DELICIOUS! I love that there's 6 bottles per day, so you're not left hungry. And even if you are, that's completely understandable! Eating raw fruits, vegetables, half an avocado, sweet potato and broth-based soups are acceptable. I usually do the 1 or 3 day cleanse depending on how badly the damage was on vacation. I feel amazing after each cleanse!
4. Sleep - Get plenty of sleep. I don't want to hear, "I only normally get 4-5 hours of sleep anyway, so 6 is a lot". Nope, you need 8 hours of solid sleep to recharge your body. I don't know about you but during vacation, it's easy to eat late, party hard and sleep is never the same in a bed other than your own.
5. Eat Clean At Home - After vacation, I make it a point to cook every meal at home for at least a week. Clean food can help put our digestion back on track by feeding the body nutrients and flushing out any bad stuff. I usually eat yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast, salad with chicken for lunch and a protein with vegetables with brown rice for dinner. Sadly, avoid alcohol too!
6. Sauna - This is a personal favorite. Sitting in the sauna feels amazing! After vacation or not, I love sitting in the sauna and sweating it out. Saunas are said to flush out toxins, regulate blood flow, induce deeper sleep and open your pores for better skin. Need I say more?
How do you get back on track after an indulging vacation? Anything you swear by? Share them in a comment below!
This post is in collaboration with Suja Juice. I was not compensated but was sent the juices for this post. Thank you Suja Juice! All opinions are as always, my own.